last update:

In the beginning of 2013 I bought myself a Maplin USB Weather Station. Like lots of things in Maplin, it’s produced by an OEM and then rebranded, and in this case the unit is a Fine Offset WH1081, it consists of a pole which is stuck in the garden, and a ‘touch screen’ display and wireless reader. My original plan was to work out how to sniff the wireless signals from the external unit and directly read the data, but despite playing about with exactly that, and despite plenty of evidence that it is possible I never got anywhere.

2015 Music Roundup

I’m pretty sure that in a parallel universe there’s a version of me who’s a metal guitarist. I love music, despite knowing nothing about it technically and I spend most of my waking hours listening to rock and metal. So, in a break from regular programming (haha, there’s nothing regular about my posting), heres’s a post about some delicious dark music I’ve discovered and enjoyed in the last year – in no particular order.

2015 year was an another interesting year for security and some cool utilities appeared. Rather than cover the same old ground and gush about how amazing nmap, masscan and shodan are though (not that they’re not amazing, of course), I’d like to highlight a few lesser known tools I’ve found useful, and discovered in the last year. TLS Prober One of my favourite security projects last year was undoubtedly TLS Prober.

Since finishing my PhD and leaving the world of academia I’ve moved from doing most dev work locally using TextMate to using remote VMs and using vim. I’ve also spent less time hacking outside of work, and so a few of the projects I used to spend a fair amount of time on have fallen by the wayside. One of these poor languishing projects was the Gnuplot TextMate bundle. A lot has happened to TextMate in the six years(!

iTerm2 is the best terminal emulator currently available on Mac OSX, I use it daily for development and sysadmin work and rarely regret running unstable builds. One of my favoute features in iTerm is its tabs. As you’d probably expect, ⌘T opens a tag – with a new shell – and you can drag and detach them just like you would in other applications. Earlier today I was reading its documentation and I came across this page about the proprietary escape codes it supports.