last update:

If you’ve ever wanted to automatically add a coloured border to an image, then this ruby script might come in handy. add_border.rb does exactly what you expect; it adds a border. You can specify the outer and inner sizes, and the colour of the inner border between. By default, this colour will be the average RBG value, giving you an awesome look by default. To use it, just run ruby .


snarfr is a ruby script designed for simply backing up your flickr photos. It requires a few gems, notably: flickraw progressbar (≥ 0.9 see: here) mini_exiftool facets/ostruct To run it, type ruby snarfr.rb, or chmod +x it, and then do ./snarfr.rb. It should then begin snarfing yours photos into ./output, unless you’ve specified an output directory (as the first argument), in which case things will go there. snarfr tries to be intelligent by saving it’s progress to the file ~/.

I’ve just added a new repository to GitHub, called octave-scattered-image, into which I’ve started cleaning up, and pushing my Octave functions for processing scattered image data. Have a look, and feel free to contribute. My current plan is to distribute it as an octave package, but that’s currently untested. Also, in other news, I’m off to Boston this week, for IGARSS 2008, the first conference of my PhD. The only disadvantage of this jaunt, is that I have to present a paper.

During the course of my PhD, and undergraduate degree, I’ve amassed quite a lot of MATLAB code, and knowledge. This page will be the where I try to share some of that knowledge and code. Documents: Writing MEX Files for Image Processing Code on GitHub Scattered Image Toolkit: A work in progress toolkit to provide Octave with functions for the analysis and interpolation of 2-D scattered data (scattered images).

Published Author!

Finally, after a nine-month wait, preceded by a year long slog, my paper has made it into print! I am, of course, very pleased :) Uploaded with plasq’s Skitch! The IEEE’s copyright policy states that I may host a copy of this paper, provided I state the following: © 2008 IEEE. Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from the IEEE.